“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
– Benjamin Franklin
“Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.”
– Dave Barry
Agree? Then you definitely love beer.
Woodside All day Bar & Eatery in association with All Things Nice organized a Beer Tasting Session at their Andheri branch. It was a well thought out event for people who love drinking beer but have no idea what exactly goes into the making and appreciation of it. You might agree with me when I say that Friday night drinking usually consists of going to your favourite watering hole, hanging out with a bunch of friends and chugging a whole lot of pints. So, here I was at Woodside, sitting in front of six empty glasses, waiting to begin my first time at a Beer Tasting.
As the night began, Nikhil Agarwal of All Things Nice took us through the following:
- This history of beer: did you know it originated in Egypt almost 9000 years ago?
- How beer is made – raw materials and processes: water + malted barley + hops for flavor + yeast fermentation = BEER!
- Sensory evaluation: taste and smell are closely associated. Thus, if you hold your nose while drinking beer, you can’t taste it.
- Types of beer: lager, stout, ale, etc. THERE ARE SO MANY!
- TASTE! TASTE! TASTE!: If you know wine tasting then you will know beer tasting as well. First check the colour of the beer by holding it against light. Is it light or dark? Agitate the beer in order to create a head. This is where the maximum aroma lies. Smell it. Take a sip and let it coat your entire mouth. What does it tastes like?
Nikhil took us through six beers one-by-one.
I am quite happy to see such beers available so easily in our city now. Woodside will be hosting another Beer Tasting this month and you should definitely catch it.
The event will be priced at Rs. 995 per person.Address: Woodside All Day Bar & Eatery Shop no. 11/12. Link Plaza Co-Op Society, New Link Road, Oshiwara, Andheri