This year, avoid the restaurant rush and cook a cosy dinner for two at home with these simple recipes. Why?
• You won’t have to deal with bad service or risk having bad food
• You are in control of everything
• This dinner idea is freakin’ delicious!
My Chicken Parmigiana is a simple dish that was introduced to me by my partner. It’s a cheesy chicken filet over a rich tomato sauce. First time I made it; I used bottled Parmesan and did not really enjoy it. This time, I was lucky to get a nice big chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano. Just imagine my joy when I saw it. As it was rich enough on its own, I decided to serve it with a fresh green salad with a simple dressing and some bread. If you want, you can serve it with some spaghetti.
For dessert, I decided to make a fresh fruit salad taken up a notch with Hob-Nob Oatmeal Cookies and mascarpone cheese. The flavour of the salad depends on upon which fruits you use so splurge a little and make a berry dominant dessert.
Time taken – 20 minutes + 15 minutes to bake
2 Chicken breasts
1 lightly beaten egg
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 large tin chopped tomatoes
1 ½ tsp Chilli flakes
1 ½ tsp Garlic powder
50 gms grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
30 gms sliced mozzarella
2 tsp fresh oregano
Salt & Pepper
• Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
• Heat up some olive oil in a pan and add the tinned chopped tomatoes, garlic powder, finely chopped oregano and chilli flakes. Fill up the empty tin up to the half mark with water and stir it into the sauce. Let it simmer on a low heat.
• Take the chicken filet and lay it out flat in between two baking sheets. Using a rolling pin, give it a good bashing to flatten it till it is uniformly thin.
• Sprinkle with salt and a pepper
• Take a frying pan and heat up some olive oil on medium flame.
• Prepare a plate with bread crumbs and one plate with the beaten egg.
• Dip the chicken filet in egg and then dredge it with breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess.
• Fry it on both sides till nice and golden.
• Take it off the heat when cooked and place it on some tissue paper to get rid of excess oil.
• Get a baking dish and pour in the tomato sauce. Evenly spread it out.
• Place the fried chicken filet over the sauce.
• Place mozzarella slices over the chicken and sprinkle grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and a few oregano leaves.
• Pop it in the oven for 15 minutes till the cheese has melted and beautifully golden.
• Serve piping hot.
As a side dish, pick some cherry tomatoes, olives, and arugula and dress it with extra virgin olive oil and lime juice.
Posh Fruit Salad
Time taken – 5 minutes
Fresh mixed berries (I used cranberries and strawberries)
5 tbsp mascarpone cheese (or replace with thick yoghurt)
4 Hob-Nob Oatmeal cookies
8 tsp honey
• In a bowl, mix the mascarpone cheese with crushed cookies and 2 tsp honey.
• Take two glasses of your choice and line them with kiwi slices.
• Add a few dollops of the mascarpone mixture.
• Chop up the remaining fruits and top up the glass with them
• Chill them and just before serving, drizzle 3 tsp of honey in each of the glasses.