A few weeks ago, I posted this picture on Instagram. It’s one of those recipes that you wonder why you never made before. All the ingredients are available easily at home and if you have any fancy pants ingredients like pancetta, herbs, or truffle oil handy, you’re just going to make it taste better. So, if you have an oven, a frying pan, and a ceramic dish, get into the kitchen and make this now! This recipe serves one and perfect if you’re alone this week the way I am.
Baked Egg Over Tomato Sauce (Shakshouka)
1 or 2 eggs
2 ripe tomatoes
1 small finely chopped onion
2 cloves of minced garlic
3 to 4 sage leaves
1 tbsp butter
Salt, sugar & pepper to taste
Few drops of Capsico sauce or chilli flakes
Grated Amul Pizza Cheese or any other cheese you like (goat cheese will be great too)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Cut the tomatoes into half and grate them. Yes, you read it right. We just need the flesh and not the skin so grate it to a nice pulp.
3. Take a small pan and heat it up. Add butter and drizzle olive oil. Tip in the sage, garlic, onions and cook it down for a bit.
4. Once the onions look translucent, add the grated tomatoes and add salt, sugar and pepper to taste. Let it cook down to a nice sauce.
5. You’ll need a small baking dish enough to hold all the ingredients so choose one accordingly. Once you’ve got that, it’s time to assemble.
6. Spoon half the sauce and spread it evenly. Layer on grated cheese and one final layer of sauce. Using the back of your spoon, evenly spread to make a smooth surface.
7. Now make a hole on the surface where you want to hold the egg using the back of your spoon. Very carefully crack the egg on the sauce and bake for approximately 12 minutes or till the egg white is set.
7. Serve with crusty bread.